Best Inexpensive MPPT Charge Controller

Hughes500Pilot

Question

Hi.  I'm new to off grid solar power systems.  I was given two  12v 100w solar panels and I'm looking for the least expensive MPPT solar charge controller I can find.  I do not need bluetooth (but it would be nice if the price was not too much extra).  I know Victron makes excellent charge controllers, but their least expensive is $108.  I see hundreds of cheap/no name charge controllers listed for sale on Amazon and ebay that claim to be real MPPT charge controllers.  But, I know a lot of them are just basic PWM charge controllers with a sticker on the front saying they are MPPT.  Does anyone know of a TRUE MPPT charge controller that is inexpensive?  Thanks.  -Steve

7 answers to this question

On 1/13/2023 at 11:26 AM, Hughes500Pilot said:

Hi.  I'm new to off grid solar power systems.  I was given two  12v 100w solar panels and I'm looking for the least expensive MPPT solar charge controller I can find.  I do not need bluetooth (but it would be nice if the price was not too much extra).  I know Victron makes excellent charge controllers, but their least expensive is $108.  I see hundreds of cheap/no name charge controllers listed for sale on Amazon and ebay that claim to be real MPPT charge controllers.  But, I know a lot of them are just basic PWM charge controllers with a sticker on the front saying they are MPPT.  Does anyone know of a TRUE MPPT charge controller that is inexpensive?  Thanks.  -Steve

You can usually get renogy charge controllers pretty cheap. Keep an eye on FB marketplace.

I sold my renogy 20 amp there for 20 bucks when I dumped it for victron and there was two others in my area .

On 1/13/2023 at 9:26 AM, Hughes500Pilot said:

@Hughes500PilotWe offer many MPPT Solar Charge Controllers. An important aspect when looking into purchasing a charge controller for your solar setup is to make sure it's compatible with the battery you are/plan on using. In order to help you further, what battery are you running/planning on using?

On 1/13/2023 at 11:26 AM, Hughes500Pilot said:

Hi.  I'm new to off grid solar power systems.  I was given two  12v 100w solar panels and I'm looking for the least expensive MPPT solar charge controller I can find.  I do not need bluetooth (but it would be nice if the price was not too much extra).  I know Victron makes excellent charge controllers, but their least expensive is $108.  I see hundreds of cheap/no name charge controllers listed for sale on Amazon and eBay that claim to be real MPPT charge controllers.  But, I know a lot of them are just basic PWM charge controllers with a sticker on the front saying they are MPPT.  Does anyone know of a TRUE MPPT charge controller that is inexpensive?  Thanks.  -Steve

I got a Rich MPPT for $60 and it is supposed (some Solar Guru on YouTube) to be the same as the Renogy with better bigger screw ins for your wires. Bluetooth and be added Bt-1 Bluetooth Module $35.99 (off their site). Try a couple $15 to $19 Chinese specials and screw holes for wires were very small and one worked until I got to the mountains and the other lasted one season.

3 hours ago, Kip McMillan said:

My advice is try to at least go with a name brand. There is a lot of off brand Crap that is cheap.  Ive read reports of them overheating and burning up. Catching your rv on fire and your safety must be figured in with your decision.  Good luck 

Hard agree with Kip on this. Things not to cheap out on 

- Electronics that can catch fire

- Safety items that protect you

- A good mattress