Solar Panel - Maximum Efficiency: 21.3%

Young

Question

8 answers to this question

That's the efficiency of turning sunlight into electricity.  A 200W panel in full sunlight at perfect conditions will give you 200 Watts.

In the real world, with non perfect positioning and shade/cloud cover , I usually get on average 70% of the total watts.  I could probably get more , but I'm limited to where I can place them right now.

• Like 1

Hi guys … new here.  My issue is that my 240w solar panel has never generated more than 130 watts despite being in direct Florida sunshine (no clouds).  It is mounted horizontal on top of a transit van.  It is feeding into a 1000w Jackery via Anderson inputs and I am taking my input reading directly off of the Jackery screen.  I understand that I would never get 240w but I would have expected around 175watts or higher.  At present, I am generating just over 50% on most days and that seems pretty low.  Any thoughts…the panel is less than a year old and does not appear damaged in any way.

19 hours ago, Douglas said:

Hi guys … new here.  My issue is that my 240w solar panel has never generated more than 130 watts despite being in direct Florida sunshine (no clouds).  It is mounted horizontal on top of a transit van.  It is feeding into a 1000w Jackery via Anderson inputs and I am taking my input reading directly off of the Jackery screen.  I understand that I would never get 240w but I would have expected around 175watts or higher.  At present, I am generating just over 50% on most days and that seems pretty low.  Any thoughts…the panel is less than a year old and does not appear damaged in any way.

@Douglas  The following factors may have influenced this figure(only 130W): 
1. The cable with Anderson connectors might not match the panel. 
2. The solar panel may not be suitable for the 1000W Jackery. It identifies the appropriate panels for the solar input(2*solarsaga 100)

image.png.64fb6c728c5e596381ef67b0db3f992f.png

A lot of times, people think blue sky is clear sky. Depending where you are at, haze, smog, thin sporadic layers can't be seen but effect efficacy.  My best results where up at a ski resort.  At high noon, my 200w panel registered 213w. Down below I could only get 178w. Might keep the condition environment that is around you.  .around you

Effeciency also is effected in multiple panel setups as well. Series vs Parallel should be checked out depending on location or need. For instance if you have the solar panels connected in Series but one of the panels are in shade this will effect the whole systems ability to charge vs Parallel.

On 3/10/2023 at 2:46 PM, Kip McMillan said:

Forgot to mention also that newer panels are coming with 9 to 10 busbars versus older panels using 5 or 6 busbars. That is a huge factor when it comes to efficiency. 

Size too, If it was not for the 9bb that the newpowa panels have I probably wouldnt have been able to fit as much power production per space on the roof of my van.