How much output is reasonable from 240watt panel?

Douglas

Question

Hi gang - I am new to the forum but I have had a Newpowa solar panel for almost a year.  Right now I have a single 240watt panel that I have mounted (horizontal) to the top of my transit van.  The solar panel is connected to my 1000w Jackery power centre and it has worked since the day I installed it and connected it to the Jackery.  The issue I have is that the maximum power I have ever generated is 135 watts (high noon in bright cloudless Florida sun).  Generally on a clear and sunny day I generate about 120 -125w which is about 50% of the listed output of the panel.  Connections all look solid and I have cleaned/power washedthe panel to no real effect.  I would have expected around 170w (70% return) but I have never been even close to that.  Wondering if this is normal or if anyone has any thoughts or ideas.  Thanks and I would appreciated any feedback.

3 answers to this question

On 1/16/2023 at 10:28 PM, Douglas said:

Hi gang - I am new to the forum but I have had a Newpowa solar panel for almost a year.  Right now I have a single 240watt panel that I have mounted (horizontal) to the top of my transit van.  The solar panel is connected to my 1000w Jackery power centre and it has worked since the day I installed it and connected it to the Jackery.  The issue I have is that the maximum power I have ever generated is 135 watts (high noon in bright cloudless Florida sun).  Generally on a clear and sunny day I generate about 120 -125w which is about 50% of the listed output of the panel.  Connections all look solid and I have cleaned/power washedthe panel to no real effect.  I would have expected around 170w (70% return) but I have never been even close to that.  Wondering if this is normal or if anyone has any thoughts or ideas.  Thanks and I would appreciated any feedback.

Hello @Douglas there are a lot of factors that could be at play. First, we recommend performing maintenance on your solar panels as you could have dirt and debris blocking your panel from receiving full sunlight. Please rinse the top of the panel with water, and run a wet microfiber cloth over the face of the panel to remove any debris. Once done, use either a microfiber cloth or a squeegee to remove excess water. If your issue persists, please contact us. We'll help in any way we can.

I'd expect 95% output on a clear day with the panels perpendicular to the sun in FL winter temps.  If you're not seeing that, something with your panels or something on the Jackery limiting input.  My guess would be the Jackery as my Bluetti 2200ah pack limits input to ~260W no matter how much panel I have in front of it.