2000W Inverter throwing BMS codes on LiPO4 battery

Willie

Question

I recently purchased your 2000W inverter. I did not use the anemic cables that come with the unit, rather I purchased 2/0 heavy cable and attached to a brand new SOK 200ah battery. The battery has performed flawlessly until I try to connect your 2000W inverter to it. Once I do, the BMS in the battery throws a short circuit code and shuts the battery down as soon as I power up the inverter (with nothing plugged into the inverter). The display does not even have a chance to power on. Everything is connected properly and fused. If I connect it to a traditional lead acid it powers up just fine. Any ideas?

3 answers to this question

On 3/2/2023 at 11:05 PM, Willie said:

I recently purchased your 2000W inverter. I did not use the anemic cables that come with the unit, rather I purchased 2/0 heavy cable and attached to a brand new SOK 200ah battery. The battery has performed flawlessly until I try to connect your 2000W inverter to it. Once I do, the BMS in the battery throws a short circuit code and shuts the battery down as soon as I power up the inverter (with nothing plugged into the inverter). The display does not even have a chance to power on. Everything is connected properly and fused. If I connect it to a traditional lead acid it powers up just fine. Any ideas?

@Willie Thank you for your waiting.

You can try the following steps:

Check the specifications of the lithium-ion battery and the inverter to ensure they are compatible with each other. Some lithium-ion batteries are not designed to handle high surge currents, which could cause the BMS to shut down the battery. The inverter user manual: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1brcY5rOzlkeO_Kw2v-EEqtoBoy5Qrk02/view

Check the wiring connections to ensure they are correct and securely connected. Loose connections or incorrect wiring can cause a short circuit and trigger the BMS to shut down the battery.

Try reducing the load on the inverter by connecting a smaller device to it and see if the battery still shuts down. If the battery does not shut down with a smaller load, it may indicate that the inverter is drawing too much current and causing the BMS to trigger a short circuit.

11 hours ago, Willie said:

Assume you have no load on the inverter when you plug it in?  It sounds like something funky in the BMS not the inverter if the inverter works fine on lead acid.  Probably no chance you have another liPo battery there to hook up to.