4 200watt panel controller and inverter question.

mikeman

Question

I have 4 200 watt panels going in my system.so far they are working great. My question is. Why do the batterys drop from 100% to 50% the second I turn a space heater on? But if I turn the heater off they bounce right back to 100% charged.

8 answers to this question

I have lead acid batteries for now and they do the same thing when operating the slides. They draw up to 50 amps while moving.  Once they stop they return to original voltage. Where i watch is when I have a constant draw such as the inverter usage.  Once in a while I'll turn of the inverter and see where they rest. This is why I will be getting a larger battery bank with Lithium this summer. 

• Thanks 1

I read that passed 50% can damage lead acid.  Which is what I currently have. When I turn on my heater it drops right to 50 but then bounces back to 100 if I turn it off. I just dont want to damage them. I may need a larger battery bank too. The panels keep them pretty topped off at 100% right now.

On 3/8/2023 at 11:36 AM, mikeman said:

I have 4 200 watt panels going in my system.so far they are working great. My question is. Why do the batterys drop from 100% to 50% the second I turn a space heater on? But if I turn the heater off they bounce right back to 100% charged.

What are using the space heater for? RV/Shed/House?  

I ask because there are many more effecient ways to heat a space on solar. Even with a monster power setup a space heater takes on average 1,500 watts continuous. 

I'd look into a diesel heater, use much less power and a tiny amount of fuel to keep a place toasty. 

On 3/10/2023 at 4:18 PM, Kip McMillan said:

This stand alone works really well for us. The smaller build in unit's are less but installing I hear are a pain. Look out for recalls on some brands.

Screenshot_20230310_141437_Amazon Shopping.jpg

If you actually look inside these units they are usually just the smaller one you are referencing inside a cabinet with the fuel tank integrated with it. Its nice because you dont have to find a separate place for the fuel to go but larger size might be a deal breaker for some like me. I have to fit my heater under the dinette seat and this unit is too tall.