Best Inexpensive MPPT Solar Charge Controller

Hughes500Pilot

Question

Hi.  I'm new to off grid solar power systems.  I was given two  12v 100w solar panels and I'm looking for the least expensive MPPT solar charge controller I can find.  I do not need bluetooth (but it would be nice if the price was not too much extra).  I know Victron makes excellent charge controllers, but their least expensive is $108.  I see hundreds of cheap/no name charge controllers listed for sale on Amazon and ebay that claim to be real MPPT charge controllers.  But, I know a lot of them are just basic PWM charge controllers with a sticker on the front saying they are MPPT.  Does anyone know of a TRUE MPPT charge controller that is inexpensive?  Thanks.  -Steve

(I originally posted this in the Newbie section, but I thought I might get more answers if I moved it here)

7 answers to this question

The little blue  MPPT 20 Amp Solar charge Controller  eBay wonders for $15-$20 just don't last. I got to the mountains to dry camp for a while and day 3 the cheap controller dies. The next one lasted a year and I start to head for the mountains and it was a brick. 20A is all you need with 4 X 100 watt panels. A lot of the holes and screws to hold the wires in are not very big on ever some good MPPTs. I always have a problem with that. I can't see or it takes 15 minutes to get the wires in. Rich solar has a Renogy clone with 8 gauge holes and is sturdy and there is usually a deal on them on eBay. I got mine for $60. I would add spacers (or 4 plastic soft drink tops between screw and wood to hold it to a board  to help it cool down.

On 3/1/2023 at 11:43 AM, Kip McMillan said:

One thing I've learned is that one day you want to expand your setup and wished I started with a larger mppt. Pay a little more now instead of buying another unit later. Good luck

Agree with you here, the difference in price between them more than makes up for it down the road should you decide to upgrade. I got a 40A MPPT with only 200w solar panels. I know i'll change out the panels in the future or add more. Wont need to buy a new controller at that time. 

Same with